The Top 5 Things to do in Urbandale this Summer
Located in the northwest part of the Des Moines Metro Area, Urbandale, Iowa is a great place to live – and to retire! With a lower cost of living and low unemployment rate, the population of Urbandale has steadily grown since the year 2000, with more and more people looking for the quiet serenity of a Midwestern lifestyle. Summer in Iowa brings warm temperatures and sunny days, and people all over the state look forward to getting out to explore their local areas. And with a wide assortment of parks, museums, gardens and historical attractions, there’s no shortage of things to do in Urbandale and the surrounding areas during the warmer months.
Enjoy these Summer Activities in Iowa
Residents of Urbandale have easy access to Des Moines, so there are plenty of senior-friendly activities you can enjoy this summer with your loved ones. Check out these amazing attractions in Urbandale and the local area:
- Living History Farms. Located right in Urbandale, Living History Farms is an interactive outdoor museum that educates, entertains and connects people of all ages to Midwestern rural life experiences. You’ll see history in action here while you take a tour of the historic home and grounds or join others for events like historic baseball games.
- Historic Valley Junction. Known as the gathering place that is the heart and soul of Des Moines, Historic Valley Junction features a variety of unique shops and exciting events, all with a walkable hometown feel. You’ll find antique shops, art galleries, gourmet foods, home goods, clothing stores and so much more. Plus, throughout the summer they host Farmers Markets with over 100 vendors selling fresh produce, baked goods, crafts and flowers.
- Blank Park Zoo. Situated on 25 acres in Des Moines, Blank Park Zoo isn’t a very big zoo, which makes it perfect to stroll through on a warm summer day with the grandkids. You won’t want to miss the sea lion shows, seeing the lions, monkeys and tigers or feeding the giraffes!
- Saylorville Lake. Located just north of Des Moines, Saylorville Lake features 26,000 acres of natural beauty and scenery. You could spend several days boating, fishing, hiking, watching wildlife, biking or even just relaxing on one of the many beaches.
- The Iowa State Fair. This end of summer tradition offers 11 days of rides, farm animals, wacky contests, live music and amazing food to celebrate Iowa’s farm heritage. To get ready to navigate the 400 acres the fair is located on, you can visit the fair website to get a downloadable walking tour.
Warm and Welcoming Retirement Living in Urbandale at Deerfield Retirement Community
Deerfield Retirement Community in Urbandale, Iowa is the senior living community for vital, purpose-driven people. We offer vibrant independent living options with supportive health care services for a full continuum of care, along with stimulating activities for an engaging lifestyle. Experience our vibrant community firsthand by contacting us to schedule your personal tour.